The COSMOS standard is a new cosmetic certification for natural & organic ingredients or final products. The COSMOS standard brings together several certifications bodies including ECOCERT, Soil Association, Cosmebio, ICEA & BDIH to create one standard that is internationally recognised for natural & organic cosmetics.
COSMOS Certified Ingredients is for organic or made with organic materials that meet the COSMOS standards which can be used as ingredients in COSMOS certified cosmetics. There are two COSMOS approvals,
- Cosmos Organic
- Cosmos Natural
To meet the COSMOS accreditation, strict guidelines for sustainable manufacture must be followed. The whole manufacturing process is audited for green credentials & this includes the supply chain for product manufacture or preparation.
All approved materials appear on the COSMOS approved certified ingredients database which is accessible via the COSMOS website.
Ecocert is an organic certification organisation formed in 1991 & was the first certification body to develop standards for natural & organic cosmetics.
The Ecocert specification evaluates all stakeholders in the value chain such as suppliers, manufacturers & distributors organisations.
The basic principles of the ECOCERT standard
To ensure an environmentally friendly cosmetic product, the ECOCERT standard lays down:
1- The use of ingredients derived from renewable resources, manufactured by environmentally friendly processes. ECOCERT audits:
- The absence of GMOs, parabens, phenoxyethanol, silicon, PEGs, synthetic perfumes & dyes, animal-derived ingredients (unless naturally produced by them: milk, honey, etc.)
- The biodegradable or recyclable nature of packaging
2- A minimum threshold of natural ingredients from organic farming to be reached to obtain certification:
ECOCERT Standard imposes a minimum of 95% of the total ingredients come from natural origin
- For the natural & organic cosmetic label:
- A minimum of 95% of all plant-based ingredients in the formula & a minimum of 10% of all ingredients by weight must come from organic sources.
- For the natural cosmetic label:
- A minimum of 50% of all plant-based ingredients in the formula & a minimum of 5% of all ingredients by weight must come from organic sources.
3- On site audit is performed by an ECOCERT auditor
NAME REGISTRATION DOCUMENTS
MicNo® is an innovative new structure for Zinc Oxide (ZnO) which provides unique properties with the advantages of both micron & nano ZnO. This unique MicNo® structure for ZnO is a step change in cosmetic formulation around the world for final products such as sunscreens (cream, spray, stick & powder form), coloured cosmetics, including BB creams & powder cosmetics, along with a range of daily care cosmetic products.